Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wandering into Synchronicity

A great story!  I've omitted names to protect the guilty ...

He:
Super thirsty, I arrive at the bar in the St. Regis Hotel in Manhattan.  There were two Russian babes sitting at the bar in the middle, and a lonely older guy to their left.  I really don't want to speak with anyone.  I just want one of those cold beers they serve in a frosted glass.  (They always remind me of the Ice Hotel in Kiruna, Sweden.)  So I sit next to the older guy and order a beer.

She:
It's been a long week and I'm exhausted.  I'm looking forward to meeting my blind date but I must admit I'm more excited about our meeting location.  I know me, and the chance I will find this guy intriguing is slim, at best.  He had presented me with a choice of venues.  Despite loving the alternate location, and after an unusual waffling on my part, my gut told me to choose the St. Regis.  I walk in and see the gentleman I am supposed to meet sitting at the bar.  Then, immediately, I see this hot guy standing on the other side of the bar stool that is clearly meant for me.  Well, he's as hot as one can tell without seeing the face.  I make a conscious effort to turn my complete attention to the man I'm meeting so I'm not rude to him.

He:
Five minutes later, this gorgeous babe arrives.  I'm not quite sure why she is with the 'Oldie,' but I say to myself, "Lucky old dog!"  And, I must admit, for just an instant I wonder if she is a super classy call girl.

She:
I share with this gentleman that I didn't re-read his profile because I like to get to know someone from through conversation.  (Yes, I confess this is an online dating 'first meeting.')  "So," I say, "tell me your life story!"  And to my shock and dismay, he did!  I sat there as he gave me his entire business life story.

He:
I overhear the conversation where the Oldie spills out his resume.  I'm still not sure if they're meeting for business or pleasure!  I finish my beer and head over to The Peninsula Hotel.

She:
About 15 minutes into this resume-recitation, out of the corner of my eye I see hot guy leave.  I'm disappointed, and wish I'd seen his face so I would know if he truly was hot.  This is going to be a long evening.  Sigh ...

He:
Time to bar hop ... 

She:
I'm dropped off at home.  It's 10pm on a Friday and I've had a week of long work hours, so the last thing I want is to be home.  I text a few friends to see if anyone is out on the town, then hop in a cab back uptown to Philippe to meet a few of the girls.  Champagne is flowing!

He:
A friend drops me off but I'm not really in a mood to go to bed.  I head to Philippe for one last drink.  I go to the bar and gorgeous babe is there without 'Oldie' and is with friends.  My luck!

She:
This very attractive man walks past me.  He has an incredibly handsome chiseled face.  He makes eye contact as he walks by.  He walks back to me and asks me if he saw me at ... ?  Where??  It's loud in the bar & he has a French accent so I'm unable to understand what he's saying.  I ask him to repeat himself and he does.  Rather than confess that I still have no idea what he said and ask him to repeat yet again only louder, I pretend to understand & I respond 'yes.'  I assume he's mistaken me for someone else or just laying a line on me.  We fall into conversation.

He:
I talk to her.  Great, she remembers me from the St. Regis!  I'm so happy that she noticed me.  She clearly doesn't want to talk about what she was doing there.  That's ok.  We talk and talk ... about random stuff like employers we've had.  She introduces me to her friends.

She:
I introduce him to my friends.  They give him a hard time and he plays up to it quite well.  Impressive. 

He:
Her faux-French friend admits that she is from Senegal and the little Brit dancer who does not know the difference between faux and real Champagne end up leaving.  My lucky break!
 
They:   ...

She:
As we're saying goodbye, he asks me what I was doing at the St Regis.  OMG!  He's 'Hot Guy'!!

No comments: